Monday, September 21, 2009

I hate haters but I hate steampunk more

My stomach curls in pain every time I see a piece of copper, a grill and old knobs and dials on a piece of new technology in the name of steampunk. Why people add useless and pointless ornamentation from the past, therefore making the technology harder to use, completely evades me. And this hideous kitsch is everywhere and loved by all faceits of technology world from embedded and programmable logic design engineers, to makers, to technologists and film makers!
I can admit that there is a time and a place, as in a few amazing anime movies, like steamboy, that I bought for my little brother a few years ago, I loved reading H.G. Wells’ The Time Machine, and some beautiful classic watches could be considered steampunk, but for the most part this craze is a poor attempt at creativity. From time to time (being an electronics engineer myself) I will pick up an old style switch from a junk shop, or toy with the idea of building a nixie tube clock from scratch and with the purpose of creating something functional and learning something new.
Perhaps there are just a few in the group that have brought the rest down and have created this loathing I have towards the 'meme', but too bad the damage has been done. After googling a little bit more on the topic I found this article that articulates and sums up so well what is so misguided about steampunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment